Wednesday, January 18, 2012

WTF, Lolita

First and foremost I want to say HAPPY NEW YEAR! I hope everyone had a great time and are still sticking to their resolutions. I decided to not make any resolutions this year but rather set goals. So far I am making strides and hitting my goals. Let's just say I've been drinking water like a fish {I think water is gross}. 

This is a short post, I finished more books! Yay reading! I read Lolita and I have to say that I wasn't particularly moved just oddly disturbed. At first by Humbert and then by Lolita herself. It is this weird twisted love story that had me feeling oddly sad for Humbert. He has serious issues which becomes clear to the reader after he talks about his lust for nymphets. However perverse you get the sense that he really fell in love with Lolita and she played his face. I think if anything Lolita reminds me of the power of women, no matter the age. She really has power over Humbert and knows what she is doing and controls the situation like a weird sex puppet.It may have to do with the lack of control she has in her life due to her horribly selfish mother. I have to say it wasn't one of my favorites but I am glad I read it. If any of you all have read the book and I missed something please clue me in; I would love to discuss it.

School has started again so I will be finishing books at a much slower rate but I have almost finished The Last Lecture. I will probably be starting Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close this week { I will probably blaze through that} and then start on Sybil. Although I feel like I need something more uplifting because all these books are kind of depressing as hell. So If you have suggestions throw them my way. 

Also I promise more list post are on the way! My road trip has been set into motion, bridesmaid dress purchased!, and intent to graduate FILED! I am hoping that Groupon or Living Social get some gunshooting, white water rafting, sky-diving deals soon! I am not trying to go broke here!

No comments:

Post a Comment