Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Cheers to 27!

Today was the big day! I turned 27! I awoke to phone calls starting at 7 am {um I am unemployed… I sleep until noon}. I didn’t do anything outlandish for my day of birth. I talked to everyone I wanted to, one of the highlights was when my dear friend Daniel called and sung me happy birthday {I literally swooned, he is soo cute}. I put on a great outfit, put a little red lipstick on and I went for a bike ride, had coffee with my ooooh so wise mentor and met Sha, we had a great dinner of  Eatonville, Coca Cola and cupcakes {Coke always taste better with Sha}, we watched some X factor and giggled. It was the simplest of days but definitely ranks as one of the top five birthdays of all times.  I just watched the well wishes come in, it was such an out pouring of such beautiful expressions of love from people from all walks of my life,{even mother nature decided to drop off a little gift for me…BITCH!} and I was humbled. It is rare when you get to hear from dozens of people what you mean to them; truly I have never felt more loved.

I think the timing was perfect too because I had been fretting about a friend of mine, I felt as though we were fading from each other’s lives. I couldn’t figure it out nothing bad happened. I’ve been watching a lot of Felicity lately (thanks Marge for the Netflix access) and that show is surprisingly deep. Anyway there is a line in the episode the Depths that made me have an aha moment; Felicity and her friend Julie are fighting because Julie wrote a vicious song about Felicity, who is now dating her ex Ben. Julie felt betrayed by Felicity but Julie knew that Felicity liked Ben before she started dating him ANYWAY they get stuck in a train together and this old man who has been sitting quietly listening to the rest of the train try and argue about who was in the right finally stands up and says "the way I see it you two best friends were never best friends to begin with. You two met when you were seriously lonely and maybe a little desperate and you started calling each other best, when you never really earned that title. You can’t get a best friend. Best friends become. They don’t happen in a meeting, or a year or two. It’s a package deal, friendship, only as valuable as what you put in, come through.” deep right!


So maybe some people just come into your life for a certain period of time and that is it and you are confused because they are there for a very long time and you start to think that they are a best and should always be there and then all of a sudden they are gone and you can’t figure out what you did. Well I didn’t steal anyone’s boyfriend and this friend didn’t steal mine I think the relationship just ran its course. Friendships are hard and they ARE a package deal, you get out what you put in; however I would disagree with just one part of this man’s wise words. I don’t think a BEST friend is determined in years but in love and respect that is shared. I am proud to say that I have several close, dear and best friends. They spread across the country and range in years of friendship but I love them all dearly!

So among learning that I have many many awesome people that care about me, I also realized that every relationship runs its course and it is okay that this one did too. Not all relationships end poorly or with malice but as we get older and priorities change it is really okay that friendships dissolve. Like many other things in my life I will learn from this relationship and keep chugging along.Thank you all for sending me some love today and I look forward to many many many days with you!

<3Hugs and kisses and cheers to 27!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you had an awesome day...and ended it selflessly by helping me with my blog. You're right - friendships to fizzle, but it doesn't mean they didn't exist for a reason. Very wise, Charisse. Love you and can't wait to spend more time with you this year! Celebrate soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete