Friday, December 16, 2011

Love and Other Drugs

This post is random and doesn't actually have to do with anything on my list but I kinda wanted to share.

Every once in awhile I talk about relationships of all kind and how they have affected me. My friend recently had this suckie situation end and she shared with me some serious insight on relationships. She referred to relationships as drugs..WOAH! So I am going to share some of her experience, hope she doesn't mind. Then add my own pseudo-philological thoughts.

she recently made a slip up and drunk dialed this guy and was kind of freaked out about it. She said:

"the drunk dial didn't set me back,  hey it happens but I think what upset me the most was that I even made it in the first place. It came out of no where, I  have been thinking about him less and less and I've been intoxicated several times prior to this and have no even come close to calling or texting.To me, the drunk dial came out of nowhere. I think I was freaked out that this happened now and I think it is because I don't trust myself not to do it again"   

She then went on to say that:

"his presence in my life became a drug that I absolutely needed. Our relationship was rough and ugly at times but it made me feel good, even if it was a false sense of euphoria. I am fine on my own but I liked it when he was around"

What does that say about relationships....in any form? Do they become drugs? Can we be addicted? Even when you know the side effects and outcomes are bad you still want it. Even when you know that you are way  better off you yearn for it. I am not sure why it happens or how it happens but it sucks.

Anyway, I think it is interesting to think of relationships of any kind as a drug but it makes serious sense. Like a drug, a relationship can make you feel good and when that presence is gone you withdraw from it; sometimes it hurts and is painful. Over the last few years I have gained and lost some relationships in my life and I find that regardless of how those relationships ended there is still a small inkling for that previous familiarity and I think about how quickly one can fall right back into it. I guess like most things in life, getting over a relationship takes time and care but most importantly I think it takes a conscious effort to recognize where you are in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment